How to Restore Disconnected Mailbox of Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019?
However, many organizations use Microsoft Exchange Server to keep records of Exchange users. But, there are times, when you see disconnection in Exchange mailboxes. It generally happens when there are some errors in the Exchange Server. So, to restore disconnected mailbox of exchange is the first thing you need to do. That’s why, today, we are here with the solutions to do it.
Although the disconnected mailbox of Exchange remains in its database. But when the retention period is over, you cannot restore it easily.
Therefore, today, we will explain you when and how the Exchange mailbox disconnection happen. So, in the end, you will get solutions to reconnect them again.
But, before reconnecting the Exchange mailboxes again let’s first know the causes and situation of it.
How Do Exchange Mailboxes Get Disconnected?
Sometimes, the Exchange mailbox objects are not associated with the Active Directory user account. As a result, they get snugged from the server. It generally happens when the default retention time period is up. Reconnecting them again is only possible before the retention period is over.
Although the disabled mailbox still remains in the Exchange database but is not accessible because of its disabled state. But when it crosses the retention period (30 days), it automatically gets deleted from the database.
Also, the disconnected mailboxes get disconnected as a user. In this case when you cannot relink the mailbox to the user account within the time period. The Exchange mailbox will be removed.
However, you can restore disconnected mailbox of Exchange Server. To do so, we are sharing a few methods in the next section.
Instant Solution to Restore Disconnected Mailbox of Exchange
If due to any Server error the Exchange mailbox got disconnected. Or if the EDB file is severely damaged or somehow got corrupted. Then, in this situation we recommend you to choose a professional program. Therefore, we have got a systematic solution as BitResQ Exchange EDB Recovery Software.
Using this program, you can easily operate this software because of its interface. Along with this, it is compatible with all the Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019 Server versions. So, operate this advanced software to restore disconnected mailbox of Exchange.
We are suggesting you to use it because the manual method is not that useful. Apart from this, doing this task manually will be a complex task. Hence, at this time just use the automated program and restore all lost items from the disconnected Exchange Mailbox.
Reconnect Disconnected Mailbox of Exchange Manually
To do this task manually, you need to perform various steps –
Step 1 – Check Retention Period Time
- First of all, open the Exchange Management Console
- Secondly, elaborate Microsoft Exchange On-premises (any Server name) in the navigation panel
- Now, check Organization Configuration
- After that, select the Mailbox
- Then, pick the Database Management in the particular Mailbox
- After doing this, just navigate the required mailbox database to verify and right-click on it
- Now, tap the Properties option and click the Limits Tab
- Once you selected the Limits tab, here adjust them accordingly.
By doing this, you can get the idea that you’re out of the retention period or not. However, the Exchange only disconnects that mailbox on a temporary basis till the expiration of the retention period. So, to check or access the disconnected mailbox see another step.
Step 2 – Choose Exchange Disconnected Mailboxes
- Here, just elaborate on Microsoft Exchange On-premises (any Server name) under EMC
- Then, click on the Recipient Configuration
- Lastly, choose the Disconnected Mailboxes.
There may be situations when you cannot see the mailbox to restore. But, if you cannot find any mailbox in the list of the recently removed mailbox. That means the Exchange still has the mailbox. You will only be able to view it if the Exchange clears its database. For this, you need an Exchange active directory for any disconnected mailboxes.
Step 3 – Wipe Mailbox Database
- In this step, you need to press the Start button of the system. Then, type Exchange Management Shell
- Right-click on it, and Run as Administrator
- Now, just type the: Get-Mailboxdatabase | Clean-MailboxDatabase command.
If you successfully run this command, then you can open EMC. Here, look for the removed Exchange mailbox under the disconnected mailbox. Then, just right-click to it, and reconnect the mailbox. To complete this task, press connect.
There are situations when this command doesn’t work. Eventually, you won’t be able to restore disconnected mailbox of Exchange. But, if it happens, use the Exchange Power Shell to reconnect it.
Step 4 – Reconnect Disconnected Mailbox of Exchange and Verify
- Before anything else, just open Exchange Power Shell as Administrator
- Then, type and run: Connect-Mailbox -Identity “username” -Database “Mailbox Database” -User “username” command
- Now, go back to Exchange Management Console (EMC)
- Here, expand the Recipient Configuration tab
- Now, refresh all the Disconnected Mailboxes of Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019
- Select the required Mailbox under Recipient Configuration
- Now, just double click your restored Exchange mailbox
- After this, reexamine the Alias code under the General tab
- Finally, just preview the SMTP address under the E-Mail addresses option.
If you successfully complete the task, then, just sign in to the MS Outlook to verify. Go through all the sending and receiving items.
In this article, we have explained you the reason behind the disconnection of Exchange Server mailbox. Also, for the same, we have shared manual and professional automated solutions. You can choose the manual method to reconnect disconnected mailbox of Exchange. But this method has some complexities while performing. Hence, we recommend you to choose the BitResQ Solution to restore disconnected mailbox of Exchange 2010, 2013, 2016, and 2019.