Quick and Reliable Ways to Truncate Oversized PST File in Easy Steps
March 8th, 2022 ~ Tips ~ 5 Minutes Reading
Are you looking for a way to truncate a PST file that has become too large? Do you wish to be able to truncate oversized PST file in several ways? If you answered yes, you may just read this blog. In this article, we are going to cover numerous approaches to split PST file into smaller parts.
Microsoft Outlook is a free and widely used email client. It is compatible with Portable Storage Table files, most frequently referred to as PST files. PST files include all of Outlook data. The PST file extension is used to keep all the emails, notes, calendars, journals, and more. However, we are aware that all PST files are subject to file size limitations in various versions of Outlook. PST files in Outlook 2013, 2016, and 2019 can contain up to 50 GB of data.
Frequently, huge PST files result in data corruption. MS Outlook likewise experiences performance degradation as storage space is consumed or PST files grow in size. Thus, in order to avoid such complications, users should truncate oversized PST file. Therefore, maintain contact till the conclusion.
Need to Truncate Oversized PST File are Mentioned Below
The following are some of the most common reasons why it is required to truncate a PST file:
- When the PST file nears its maximum size, Outlook becomes relatively sluggish.
- Outlook does not enable users to save data to an existing folder because the Outlook data file has no or very little vacant space.
- When data files reach their limit, the user loses access to their data in Outlook.
- Due to the aforementioned issues, it becomes necessary to compress and truncate the PST file.
How to Manually Truncate Oversized Outlook PST Files?
Method 1: Using the Archive Option
- Open Microsoft Outlook and then the PST file you wish to move
- Archive is located in the File Cleanup Tools box
- A dialogue window labelled Archive will display on the screen. Now, tick the option labelled “Archive the folder and its subfolders”
- Select the folder that you wish to relocate. Additionally, you may choose to archive things that are older than a certain duration by selecting the “Archive items older than” option
- Navigate to the location of the new PST in which things will be stored and click OK.
Method 2: With the Help of Move to Folder Option
- On the machine, open Outlook and select New Outlook Data File
- Select the PST file from the New Outlook File dialogue box and click the OK button
- A new box titled Create Microsoft Personal Folder will open, prompting you to rename the PST file. Outlook will utilize this name in the Mail Folders List
- Select Edit and Move to Folder from the menu bar, then click on the Move items button
- Now, in the Create New Folder dialogue box that appears, give the newly generated PST file a name and pick new PST file in the select where to store the folder area, and then choose OK
- Within Move items, select the new folder in which to store the new PST file and then click the OK button.
Method 3: Using the Import / Export Feature of Outlook
- Open the Outlook app, click on File menu and choose Account Settings
- Click on Data files and choose the Add
- Please give the name of the new file, click Open and Import. Now, Import and Export window will appear on your screen
- Now, click on the Export to a file option and choose Next
- Select the PST file and click the Next button
- Now, select the require items and click on the Next button
- Select the require destination path to store the file
- Before exporting the item, select an option from the drop-down menu and click Finish
- A popup titled Create Outlook data file will display on the screen. If you wish to Create a Password, click Create otherwise, click Cancel.
Limitations of Manual Methods
The manual process to truncate oversized PST file has some limitations.
All manual options are extremely time-consuming and labor-intensive. One further significant disadvantage of manual approaches is that when applied to PST files, they become more prone to data loss. Additionally, none of these is a suitable option for truncating PST files in Outlook 2007 and 2010. As a result, consumers may choose a reputable tool for an easy-to-use and reliable solution.
One such solution is BitResQ Software. It is a very advanced tool that allows you to truncate a large PST file without having to install Outlook. The program supports all the versions of MS Outlook. It will also assist you in truncating an infinite number of Outlook PST files without gaps or overlaps. Using this app, you can also resolve the Outlook mailbox size limit exceeded issue.
The Final Words
We are all aware that there are several techniques for truncating an Outlook PST file, both manual and automatic. Both methods have their advantages and disadvantages. However, consumers prefer an automatic approach over the manual technique since it features a user-friendly interface and enables them to truncate PST files in Outlook accurately and effectively.