Export Outlook Contacts as VCF Using Manual Step by Step Guide
February 24th, 2022 ~ Export ~ 5 Minutes Reading
User Query: Can some please explain or mention the steps to export Outlook contacts as VCF? I need to move my data to another email client and moving contacts is becoming a task. If anybody knows anything about how to make the transfer, please tell me as I am entirely clueless.
Outlook is a desktop-based email client which can store a lot of contacts in a single file and a lot of files in a single folder.
The methods that we are going to explain here can help you save single contacts as well as multiple contacts from a file. Or save files and folders as the user desires.
But, to transfer Outlook contacts to vCard, there are statements made that Outlook doesn’t provide any export method to transfer the data.
Well, upon searching, we found out certain things and techniques that we will be explaining here.
But before that, you will find out about the reasons that lead to transferring the contacts as VCF format.
Let’s find out more about this situation.
Why Is There A Need to Export Outlook Contacts as VCF?
Major reason could be to move from one email client to another which only supports vCard format.
Other reasons for this transfer are:
- All the email clients; webmail or desktop-based support VCF format for contacts.
- There may be multiple or in bulk emails stored in a single file which you might need to transfer selectively.
- There is a possibility that your Outlook account might get corrupted due to a ton of contacts in a single file or separately.
- Users also create backup files to keep the contacts safe by creating vCard files.
Method 1 – Transfer Outlook Contacts to vCard Using Import/Export Wizard
The statement that Outlook doesn’t provide any method to export the contact files is entirely false. There is a simple technique of exporting your contacts to VCF format with the help of the following steps:
- Open MS Outlook & click on the File menu
- Choose the Open & Export option and hit the Import/Export option
- In the Import/Export Wizard, choose Export to a file & press the Next button
- Navigate to the Comma Separated Value option and click on Next
- Now, either select the Contacts folder or subfolder to export Outlook contacts as VCF and hit Next
Note: You have the ability to export only one folder at a time.
- Browse for the Destination location and hit OK
- Mark the checkbox beside Export “Contacts” from folder Contacts (or the subfolder)
- Select the options as per your desire for selective or all data transfer and hit the Finishbutton.
Wait for the procedure to complete. Once it finishes, you will be able to access the files in any email client.
Method 2 – Saving Contacts With the Help of MessageSave Tool of Outlook
Steps to transfer Outlook contacts to vCard are:
- Go to the Contacts folder in Outlook
- Hit the MessageSave option from the toolbar
- Choose the Save all messages in Contacts Folder option
- Click on the Select a File Format option by clicking on the More option if it is not available on the screen
- Press the vCard option from the list that appears and hit OK
- Tap the Save Now button.
You will find the contacts in your destination directory.
There are a few limitations of the manual methods that are listed in the next segment.
Disadvantages of Manual Approaches to Export Outlook Contacts as VCF
- The manual methods are not capable enough to export multiple folders in a single shot.
- They take a lot of time when there is a need to transfer more than 2-3 folders as the procedure for each folder depends upon the size of the files it stores.
- Sometimes, the operation might cause errors leading to corruption in data files.
- There is also a high risk of losing data files if there is a power loss or other disruptions during the procedure.
- Becomes a lengthy procedure for exporting a lot of folders and is not a recommendation by experts.
How to Transfer Outlook Contacts vCard in a More Painless Motion?
There is the BitResQ Windows Outlook Converter Software which is highly capable of converting the data files into VCF format without causing any trouble.
You can use this tool to overcome all the demerits that the manual methods might cause in a user’s working task.
Having problems with transferring multiple folders? Don’t worry, the tool will cover it up.
Doesn’t take a lot of time to complete the export and makes it easier to migrate the data files in a few minutes only.
In a Nutshell
The procedures to export Outlook contacts as VCF are easy to understand and do not have any complex steps but have a few drawbacks that you can see here. Using these steps, users can only transfer data from one folder at a time.
In case you want to export multiple folders at a single time, you can use the software that is mentioned above. It is quite easy to understand and doesn’t make any mistakes.